Press Start

Hey folks, and welcome to No Payne, No Game, my small games review blog. I'm a college student in Communication Arts looking to pass my classes and start building up a small cache of reviews to point at when people say "can you do any work?" I'm also an avid games enthusiast. I've been playing games since I was five or six years old. The advancements in technology and narrative effort in the decade and a half that I've been gaming have been incredible.

My first gaming loves were JRPGs, with their incredible narrative efforts, and over the years I've been moving over to Western RPGs which allow for more of a customized, individual experience. My first game that I can remember falling in love with was Square Enix's Kingdom Hearts, which came out when I was very young, and the Disney characters were appealing. My favorite game in the past few years has probably been Bioware's Dragon Age: Inquisition, a massive undertaking which I poured 100 hours into over the fall semester of my freshman year of college.

Most recently, the most compelling games haven't been these AAA blockbusters, however. Independent games like Infinite Fall's Night in the Woods have taken me on journeys to places within myself that I didn't know existed, just as those larger games took me to the sweeping vistas of far away lands. Games are important to me, to say the least, and that's why I chose to write a review blog.

My goal here is to do more than just play some games and review them, however. I'm looking for small, inexpensive games which take a single mechanic and polish it down to a form of mastery. The reason behind this is to find games which are easy to learn, and which teach the player the fundamental skills behind gaming as a hobby. As a long term player myself, I've always wanted to share my hobby with others, but I've encountered a pretty substantial barrier. Many of the skills I take for granted in video games are prohibitively difficult to perform without a great deal of practice. Add on to that then $60 price tag of most fresh-released games today, and it's more than reasonable that more people don't pick up gaming as a hobby.

That's all to say that this blog is aimed at people who haven't played games before, but who have an interest. I'm here for you, and I'm here to show you that games are more than $60 blockbuster experiences, and often, the smaller, $5 games are going to be the ones to impress you and leave you feeling satisfied.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life is Strange, but the video game

Make it a Weird Autumn

Spelunky gives you a master-class in platforming